Thursday, March 1, 2007

I HEART Biloxi! (Joanna)

Wow! I can’t believe we only have one more day left on the job site. This week has been incredibly challenging and rewarding at the same time. As the week is coming to a close, I am finding that I am really going to miss: slinging a hammer, nailing shingles to the roof, sawing 2x4’s, snapping chalk lines, securing wall studs, riding in a crowded van with 15 sweaty construction workers, hearing Dave request “Pigio”, eating every lunch at Subway, dinner at “CiCi’s Pizza”, Ms. Lisa and her fantastic stories, Megan and Mr.Bill, wearing a backpack instead of a purse and boots instead of 3-inch heels, sushi at the Beau Rivage, the Mississippi Department of Health (not), seeing a “Waffle House” every ¼ of a mile, and most of all…the lovely Southern drawl.

I feel so proud of myself and my team when I look at how far we have come. Day one many of us couldn’t be trusted with a hammer and now we have built a sturdy, dry roof, installed windows and doors and nailed a stud ☺

What I have learned this week is worth every blister, bruise, and even my shot for Hepatitus A (I’ll explain when I get back). Thank you for all of your love and support (both financially and motivational). Biloxi will always have a special place in my heart- mark my words, this will not be the last house I build!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you Joanna. You are the only one who can say she learned how to "nail a stud" and now know just how funny that is to the reader!

i'm so proud of all of you and so grateful no one has gotten hurt yet.
Come back we miss you.
Hugs and kisses,
nancy a

angelina joy said...

Jo! I am so glad you finally wrote! I've been trying to read everyday.

I love hearing what you've learned and how you've grown.

Can't wait to hear all the stories in person.

Love you and am so proud of you and the rest of the team. I would kill to see you in those clunky boots :)